Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Rules of my challenge and my tips for finding great cheap and free things to do

So, I sat down last night and actually set myself some parameters. You all can be the judge of how well I do following my own rules.

Rules of the Challenge
1. Winning contests is OK- that would be considered my lucky day.
2. I can't do anything illegal- like stealing. This is a no-brainer, but I just wanted to be clear.
3. These must be things that are accessible to anyone- if I get to do something free because of my job or get drinks bought for me in a bar, then that won't count as a challenge activity. My goal is to show all of you how to replicate my good time.
4. This one is a rule for the challenge and for life: Don't take advantage of free offers, i.e. if a car dealership is handing out restaurant gift cards for taking a test drive, don't take advantage of them if you have absolutely no intention to buy a new car anytime in the near future- it's just bad karma.
5. Coupons are OK and fair game, on second thought, coupons are not just OK and fair game, they are fabulous and awesome- I love coupons!! Never, ever be too ashamed to use a coupon!
6. Frequent shopping programs are OK and fair game too- getting a free sandwich after I have bought 5 is definitely OK by me.

My Tips
1. Subscribe to email lists- so many people seem to not want a full email box, but if I'm bogged down, I just do a mass delete, if I have time I read them all... there is often very valuable information in emails.
2. Pick up free newspapers and scour them- I really like Creative Loafing, Eye and Skirt!
3. Enter contests- people always say there is no such thing as a free lunch, but if you win a contest, you may just get one!
4. Read signs and pick up fliers- again valuable information that is often overlooked, some friends of mine and I had a fabulous 4th of July on the cheap by going to a party at a bar/restaurant that was just posted on a sign outside.
5. Check out community bulletin boards- coffee shops and delis are notorious for these fabulous gems.
6. Get involved in your community- join clubs and volunteer.
7. Be creative.
8. Don't be afraid to try new things.
9. Be social and make friends- sometimes the best times are a simple game night at home with a few of your favorite people.
10. Be consistent with your frequent shopper cards- I'm pretty sure that I have about 10 different punch cards for different places to get lunch near my office, if it's a time when I need to go out to buy lunch, I should let the punch cards guide my decision.
11. Get involved in your local music scene- local bands are great and with ticket prices like $10 or even free admission, it's much kinder on your wallet than going to a show at an arena or an amphitheatre and, I think, more fun in the smaller, intimate setting. Also, most bands have a street team to help them with promotion, sign up and you can usually earn free stuff. A few big name acts have these too.

Do you have any rules that you think I should add or your own tips? If so, feel free to leave a comment!

No comments: