Monday, September 1, 2008

Challenge Day 31- Howl at the Moon


Challenge Day 31 brings the very first negative review. I was absolutely psyched to go to Howl at the Moon. I hadn't yet been and they were having a luau tonight. Free buffet from 6-9, free admission with a Hawaiian shirt, $3 Heineken Lights (my favorite beer), and all of the great entertainment of the dueling pianos.

Things started out alright, I wasn't about to wear a Hawaiian shirt, so I wore a floral dress, and they did let me in for free. When we walked in, we passed by the buffet and it looked really good. I wasn't hungry, but if I had been, I definitely would have eaten from the free buffet. Bravo to them for actually making a free buffet even worth mentioning. The piano players were incredibly talented, like really amazing.

It was all downhill from there. We went up and ordered a Heineken Light and a Miller High Life Light. I about fell down when the bartender said, "7 dollars." Now, either one of two things happened: A. he wasn't honoring the posted special price for Heineken Light, or B. Miller High Life Light is $4/bottle. Both situations are ridiculous and awful. Really? Are you kidding me. As if that's not bad enough, we arrived at 8pm and there was absolutely no place to sit. A dueling piano bar really is no fun if you're standing.

Now, when I say there was nowhere to sit, there actually were empty tables. These were roped off and reserved, right in the front, the prime seats. Um, there really needs to be a point that if you aren't there, you lose your reserved tables. Howl at the Moon was losing paying customers to people who may or may not show up. That's really just dumb. So, we finally saw two tables open up as we were walking out and decided to give Howl at the Moon one last chance, and this is where it got awful. We had a group of 10 people, so there little 4 tops just weren't going to cover it. Logically, we decided to move two tables together. Enter, the rudest "bouncer" I have ever come across. He actually yelled, "You can't push together tables!!!." OK, we are adults, you can just speak to us calmly. We're happy to oblige by your rules no matter how illogical they are, so there really is no reason to yell. A waitress came over and asked us how many people we had, clearly trying to smooth things over from the rude oaf of a bouncer. But, we had just had it at that point and left, likely never to return.

Boo to you, Howl at the Moon. It's time to get it together.

2 comments:

erin said...

Hmm...I've been to Howl just once, and no, we couldn't find a spot to sit, and yes, the drinks were really expensive! But I thought the vibe of the place was fun (and I had heard about the hawaiian shirt day, which--awesome) and I liked all the music. But I have friends who just find the place aggravating. So I think you're either hot or cold about the place, but I totally understand where you're coming from. No reason for the bouncer to be rude! And those reserved tables...expensive! I can't remember how much, but way more than I think Howl deserves for a couple of dueling pianos!

Anonymous said...

I had a blast at Howl at the Moon! I signed up for a free Happy Hour Party where I was able to bring up to 100 guests. I actually turned the party into a company staff party. I brought in over 100 guests (couldn't believe I was actually able to get that many) and Howl at the Moon gave me $100 CASH!!! I was so happy! Anyway the free parties are on Friday from 5 to 8pm. We all got free cover, free buffet, and drink specials. Its worth checking out if your looking for an inexpensive "Happy Hour".