Sunday, January 25, 2009

Free reading of 'Living Out' and a free cup of coffee

I had a fantastic free afternoon in uptown Charlotte today! Since, it's Sunday and I was lucky enough to find a street-parking spot, even my parking was free! 
I started out by heading to Starbucks for a free cup of coffee. They are giving a free tall coffee (I love the Pike Place Roast) to anyone who pledges to volunteer 5 hours of their time in conjunction with the inauguration and Obama's call to service. All I had to do was fill out my pledge card and the barista gave me my delicious cup of coffee. 
From there I headed over to the Levine Museum to meet my friend, Erin. Not only is the Levine Museum free every Sunday, today they were doing a free reading of the first act of the play 'Living Out,' which will be performed at the Great Aunt Stella Center starting February 19th. The best part is that Sheri Lynch from 107.9's Bob & Sheri show was taking part in the reading and the discussion afterwards. Living Out is a comic look at the relationships that exist between mom's and their nannies. There was then a discussion afterwards about this relationship, especially pertaining to Latin American nannies, and the historical aspect of this. The museum has a fascinating exhibit right now up about domestic service in the gilded age south, and the tie in was enlightening. The discussion was great and the play was hilarious, I hope to be able to go see the play in its entirety next month!

No comments: