Monday, August 4, 2008

Challenge Day 4- My Favorite Frequent Shopper Cards

This evening I had a meeting for an animal rescue that I volunteer with, Project Halo (http://www.projecthalo.net/), so no challenge activity, but I wanted to let you all know about what I think are the best frequent shopper cards/programs.

Aveda Pure Privilege
The first one that I love is Aveda Pure Privilege. Yes, you do have to pay for the card, but you get a free gift that is worth the amount of the membership (When I got my membership a few years I think it was $20 and I got a gift-set with a case and travel sized toiletries). You will also get a birthday gift every year and it has been a free bottle of their Purefume for the last few years, and that is $20 in the store and has some really great scents. Oh, and also, you pay for life; you’ll never have to pay again. You earn points for your purchases and can redeem them for such items as purses made out of recycled paper (very cool, I have one, and I always get a ton of compliments on it), Seventh Generation cleaning supplies, Aveda products, Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream, etc. It’s all really cool stuff. You can even help to reserve your seat on the Karma bus and have a tree planted in your name as one of your rewards. I like to do that every couple of times I redeem points and give a little bit back to the Earth. If you’re going to buy Aveda products anyway, the card is worth it.

Love Your Body Card
Another cool store with a great card is The Body Shop. This is also one that you have to pay for and it is an annual fee, but with this one you get a discount off of all of your purchases in addition to earning points, so chances are that you will save enough on the total purchase to pay for buying the card (again, this one is around $20), In addition to the discount, you also earn free products in different dollar amounts as you earn more points. Plus, if you earn enough points, you get your membership for the following year for free. You will get a birthday gift with this program too, usually a certificate for a bottle of body wash. This is another one, which if you are going to buy the products anyway, definitely get the card. Another plug for both the Body Shop and Aveda is that they both are companies with an incredible commitment to the Earth. Both use recycled items, don’t test on animals (The Body Shop actually takes a stand against it) and use fair-trade items. Great, great companies.

Best Buy Rewards
I also really like the Best Buy Rewards program. It’s free and you earn merchandise certificates. All you have to do is present the card when you make a purchase and you earn your points. You go online to manage your points and when you have enough points to get a reward certificate, you redeem it, simple as that.

Hallmark Gold Crown Card
This next one is an oldie but a goodie and that is the Hallmark Gold Crown Card. Greeting cards are crazy-expensive and I did try to learn card-making as a skill once, but I’m just not all that good at it, so in the time being, at least I can earn points for those greeting card purchases. You get more points when you buy more cards in one purchase, so I try to go in knowing what is coming up and what I will need a card for, so I can do the bulk thing. There is always an item that is free or discounted with the purchase of three Hallmark cards too.

Restaurant Cards
I also am a big fan of any restaurant that does a stamp card. I will actually choose a place where I can get a stamp over one where I can’t. If Restaurant A will eventually be giving me a free sandwich and Restaurant B won’t, you do the math. However, the one thing with these with these (and I am guilty of violating this too) is to keep them with you and remember to present them. I’m pretty sure that I have three Pita Pit cards started, and I went in one day to pick up a huge order for my office and I completely forgot to present my card and missed an opportunity for a lot of points. One thing to note is that most places will combine your cards into one. Let me know if you have any favorite cards that I may not have discovered yet. Happy Savings!

2 comments:

Summer said...

You should stop by the Tailgate Market at some point. On the corner of Camden and Park Ave - across from phat burrito. We often have events, there's always samples, and it's a great time every week and fun just to talk to everyone and learn about local products.

With food fresh, and cheaper, then similar products at the grocery.

Kelly Tamerlano said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Summer! I have been before, but it has been a while. I do love that market, though! I'll try to stop by this Saturday morning.