Saturday, August 2, 2008

Challenge Day 2- Volunteering at Hospitality House, afternoon in Uptown Charlotte


Day two of the challenge was a busy one. I started out my morning by volunteering with Hands on Charlotte at Hospitality House. Hospitality House is a place where families can stay while they have a family member staying in the hospital, a very worthy cause. Many of these people would end up sleeping in the hallways or waiting rooms of the hospital if it weren’t for Hospitality House. I spent time taking inventory of the items in the room and just helping out with some general organizing. You’ll come to notice me mentioning a lot of volunteering in my blog entries, and it is definitely a huge part of my life. I’ll just take a few quick sentences right now to give you all a little piece of advice from me, if you aren’t doing any volunteer work right now, start. I know that everyone is busy, but even if you can find one hour a month to give to a worthy organization, your life will be enriched in ways you can’t even imagine. The director of Hospitality House told us a fabulous Native American saying this morning: The greatest gift that you can give is your time because you can never get it back. Email me at Kelly@cheapandfreeincharlotte.com if you would like some help finding a great volunteer opportunity. 

Ok, back to my fun and busy day. I came home from Hospitality House, hung out for a bit and then headed into Uptown Charlotte. If you are a Bank of America customer, the first weekend of each month, at least until the end of the year, your museum admission is on them at select museums throughout the country (I’ve placed the link in my list). I chose to go to the Levine Museum of the New South. Fascinating! Did you know that the sit-in started in Greensboro or that air conditioning started in North Carolina? Another great thing at the Levine if you go with children, they have two different scavenger hunts that the kiddos can fill out with a little adult help and when they have completed it, take it to the front desk and get a prize. Free souvenir! 

After the museum I headed to the Wachovia Atrium where the Bon Odori Japanese culture festival was going on. I was able to watch the Matsuriza drummers (http://www.matsuriza.com/). These guys are crazily amazing! I was mesmerized. 
From there, I headed to the Uptown Culture Fusion event put on by Art Angel
Events (http://www.artangelevents.com/) in the Brevard Court. If you haven’t checked out, Brevard Court, do. I had no idea that this little gem was hiding in uptown. I tried a sample of Water Ice (http://www.whatswaterice.com/). Delicious! I suggest the Green Apple! There was a super-talented street musician roaming around, serenading the beautiful art that was all around. It was an event for emerging artists, and, let me tell you, there is some talent brewing here in Charlotte, NC.

I then pretty much stumbled upon the Criterium all-female bike race. These women are inspiring (and fast!). Culture is definitely in abundance in uptown Charlotte. Oh, and did I mention that I didn’t even spend $1, not even on parking. Plus, I tried my very first Cheerwine (free handout, they sponsor a cycling team) and that is one deliciously cherry soda.

No comments: